Tuesday, October 13, 2009

OK..Need Someone To Convince Me..


That I am not leaving very soon..

I've been lucky so far in that I have only had a roommate for one night of my stay since last Thursday.. much of that is luck and the other is the fact that I was in ICU and you always get a private bed..although not as nice..

Well all that changed last evening and I find myself pushed out into the visitor weighting area at 4:45 this morning.

Yes it seems much of the Thoracic Surgery department is at some conference and they will not be performing as many surgeries this week.. at least not today.

So this being a city hospital and now having some temporary beds in the Thoracic unit.. last night they decided to turn these open beds into ER beds.. so yes my first roomy was a gentleman that decided to fall off a ladder and bust something up. I'd know more but they lost me when his most critical desire was to take a dump in his bed with all the attendants helping. Yes they asked and he requested a nice crap right there in bed..

So after shuffling him around, cleaning his sheets, cleaning him off and I assume themselves also.. they decided he was done there as perhaps someone more critical could use his now warmed sheets..

And yes for those that are laughing.. I could not see but only hear(and smell) as our divider curtains separated me from my new found friend.

Next.. OH yes there is a next(the last was accomplished by 2:30)... was a heavy, gentle, but moaning man that seemed to have a digestive issue as he was throwing up blood. How do I know he's heavy you ask.. trust me one learns fast by the meds he's on.. the sound of his voice and the strain in those springs.. and the symptoms he claims.. Yeah you guessed it... lost my concentration again when one of the attendants asked about the sores on his skin and he claimed it was bed bugs.. and requested they help him with them also..

So I'm sitting here in a public weighting room.. jeans and sneakers on.. yeah that thought I was running.. OH and again for those wondering.. on the way past was a 300lb naked man with sores on his skin.. right again was I..

So I have some decisions to make today.. I'm still on IV.. still on the pain meds.. my oxygen levels are down from the lung stuff and I cannot eat..

But Exeter hospital is clean, Exeter hospital is close to home and Exeter hospital is qualified to handle the rest. Insurance is a concern and the transfer is in question so.. help me caus I think I'm gonna run..

9 comments:

  1. I would feel sorry for you if I wasn't laughing. Let's see... at 5:30 this morning I was putting a jacket on a chihuahua and then holding an umbrella over it so it could pee without getting wet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know how "Jack" eventually breaks out, don'tcha? He gets Chief to throw a giant piece of equipment through a window. That would rule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I think that was after he put Jack out of his misery with a pillow.... Maybe you can help out some of your roommates. lol. Wow, Mike, that is some pretty nasty visuals, I am having trouble keeping my walnut raisin toast down. I will be happy to hold up some of the wires if you decide to bolt.. in the meantime, up the pain med!!!! xoxoxokatie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Muchacho,

    Remember your stay is only temporary, extremely unsavory but only temporary. You need to be where you get the best care, whether that's Exeter or BWH is for you to decide. As long as the other patients keep their poop and bed bugs to themselves, you're OK. Would you like me to bring you some lavender reed diffusers for your room? Sorry I know I'm not being sympathetic but that is one of funniest commentaries on city hospital care that I've ever read. Just be thankful, you weren't the attendants that had to clean up the poop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey mike,

    i'm beside myself laughing and feeling your pain..........what a horrific situation.
    couldn't they make a better effort to "match you up"...not that there's anyone like you...but that's just rude and inconsiderate. don't jump!
    xxoo lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too soon to run and you obviously need more pain meds. If anything, spend more time in the weighting/waiting room. Was your spelling intentional?
    xoxo Peg

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in the hospital in June. They thought I had a heart problem(being a Hughes who knew)after spending 17 hours in the ER. Off i went to a room at 5:30am lucky me my room mate was 100 yrs old who cried and moaned 24/7. Her family told me she buried 3 husbands in my mind I had the pillow in my hand to help her leave quietly to join all of them. I got to sleep when I came home. Hang in there I'm sure the best is yet to come.
    Love ya Mikey,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Run Forest Run ...

    Bill

    Oh thats right ! Your a lttle tied up at the moment. Sorry to hear that you didn't get your own romm. Hmmm . and what are they thinking letting all those fat people run around are they at least wearing a mask .People just dont have the wilpower they used to . Oh well think of it as a positive , Find a wireless printer and print out some business cards . No matter where you go no matter where your at. Mr Fitness is here to help.. Just don't show them any exercise's where the have to bend over in front of you . You never know what might fall between the cracks ..
    Guess Who ...Good Night Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Mike,
    Nice to see Bill giving you support. Just keep being Mike and you will be out in no time at all. We need the help on Sundays as you know. Bill and I can't do it all. Really though, I hope all goes well and we are thinking about you each day.

    ReplyDelete