Saturday, September 26, 2009

PET Scan Results

OK so I've obtained my post Chemo/Radiation PET Scan results and I can share them with you here.. I've abbreviated to make this report more clear..

Procedure: PET SKULL BASE TO MID THIGH Service Date 09/18/09

Clinical History: Esophageal Cancer

FDG Dose: 16.5 mCi

Correlative Studies: The patient has had a recent PET/CT dated 07/16/09 from Brigham & Women's.

Findings:

NECK/CHEST: There is no evidence for FDG-avid disease present within the brain parenchyma. No significant lymphadenopathy is identified in the neck. The paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are clear.

Some increased metabolic activity is identified in the distal esophagus at the gastroesophageal junction especially. SUV max is now 3.27 and was previously 7.5 at Brigham. This is indicative of healing and/or recent treatment.

ABDOMEN/PELVIS: Low attenuation in both lobes of the liver. These may represent cysts. However they are too small to characterize on this study. Otherwise the kidneys, slpeen, galbladder, pancreas and adrenal glands are within normal limits. A 3-mm focus of low attenuation seen previously in segment #2 of the liver is again noted and unchanged.

MUSCULOSKELETAL SYSTEM: There is no evidence for normal metabolic activity in the musculoskeletal system. Of Note: a radiopaque foreign body is identified in the right ischial tuberosity with an adjacent deformity. This is likely prior trauma.


IMPRESSION: There is a linear focus of increased metabolic activity involving the distal esophagus as well as at the gastroesophageal junction as described above. When compared to a recent report from the Brigham, this appears to be vastly improved. The SUV-Max is now about 3.27 and was previously measured over 7.

MY INTERPRETATION:

TUMOR of the ESOPHAGUS: SUV values dropped from 7.5 to 3.27 which indicates the chemo and radiation significantly reduced the size of the tumor.

LIVER: My previous PET scan indicated spots on my liver which are small and possibly indicate cysts which could be considered normal. My surgeon had previously told me not to worry about these and he actually took a physical look at these when he inserted the J-Tube feeding tube.

It may still be a concern but my feeling is that my surgeon is not worried and he does not consider these to be cancerous.

RADIOPAQUE FOREIGN BODY: This is the 4 screws from a previous hamstring reattachment surgery and not a concern.

3 comments:

  1. Mikey,
    I'm no Dr and you sure know more than I do about your health and how your body is reacting and healing. I'm thinking this is good report. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fascinating and, more importantly, good news. 7.5 to 3.7.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like a great report to me!
    keep up the good work.xxoo lynne

    ReplyDelete