Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy New Year

Ok so yes I did say I was done with this blog... but, that was before they found 7 positive lymph nodes from my last surgery on Oct 8.

So my choices..do nothing and sit and wait for the cancer to come back. They say with 7 positive nodes, there is a 3-1 chance the cancer will come back. But clinically, I am cured because no cancer is currently detected.

Or do another round of intense chemo and try to kill any remaining cancerous cells left in my body.

With this approach, the cancer could be halted at stage 3 thus preventing cancer from reoccurring in other organs.

If I do nothing and wait, if cancer does come back, it will be stage 4 and the best they can do is treat the disease but not cure it...presently at stage 3, it can be cured with the chemo.

But there are no guarantees... kind of like purchasing an insurance policy that may not be needed, and may not cover you if it is.

So guess what I chose..yup...sitting here at Dana Farber now.. getting my first dose of Oxaliplatin and Epirubicin.

The third, Xeloda will start twice daily when I get home.

So stay tuned, I will not be posting often as I believe that I am cured..and you don't need the details of my side effects.. nausea, hair loss, neuropathy, fatigue..

But looks like another 9-18 weeks before I come out on the other side..

No comments:

Post a Comment